This dish is simply amazing for vegetarians. Period. It is tasty, flavorful, full of nutrient rich ingredients, and doesn't sacrifice that "hearty meal feel" whatsoever. This is a dish that you can play around with once you are comfortable with this recipe. Add or take away to suit your specific tastes and / or needs and make a dish to call your own.
Vegetarian Baked Kibbee BiSanieh
– 2 cups minced onion
– 1 ½ cups chopped onions
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 1 ½ cups fine bulghur wheat
– 1 medium eggplant
– 3 lbs. potatoes
– 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 1 tsp allspice
– sp tsp sumac
– 2 tbsp chopped parsley
– ¼ cup cooked chick peas
– sp tsp cinnamon
– ½ cup cold water
– ½ cup pine nuts
– Salt to taste
– Sauté 1 ½ cups chopped onions into 3 tbsp olive oil until tender.
– Add pine nuts until they turn light golden color.
– Add allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper … mix well, remove from heat
– Add chickpeas and parsley to the sautéed onions and spices mixture, stirring well; set aside to cool.
– Peel eggplant and cut into long slices (¼ inch thick).
– Oil the base of a baking sheet and add a layer of eggplant brushed with olive oil and bake until soft and tender (8-10 minutes in 350 ° oven).
– Repeat this step to bake all of the remaining eggplant.
– Boil potatoes until firm yet tender.
– Peel and cut ½ of the cooked potatoes in to very small pieces.
– Peel remaining potatoes and mash in processor.
– Add 1 tsp of oil and a splash of water to the potatoes to moisten.
– In a mixing bowl, soak bulgur wheat with enough water to dampen and set aside for 15 minutes.
– Mix mashed potatoes with minced onions, then combine with the new softened bulghur wheat and mix thoroughly.
– Work the mixture with your hands (clean hands of course) and then add the remaining spices and knead into a soft doughy mixture.
– Divide the mixture in half.
– Oil the bottom and sides of a 9 by 12 inch baking pan, spreading half the potato and bulgur mixture on the bottom.
– Place one or two layers (your preference) of baked eggplant over the mixture and sprinkle with sumac.
– Add the stuffing mixture, spreading evenly over the eggplant.
– Add the rest of the potato bulgur mixture, smoothing the top using a few drops of water.
– Score the top by cutting the layers into square or diamond shapes.
– Sprinkle with pine nuts.
– Bake in a preheated oven at 350 ° for 25 minutes.