Have you ever thought about becoming a vegetarian? Did you wonder about the benefits of being vegetarian? If you have been giving this some thought lately, you are not alone. As we age, our bodies change. We understand the importance of knowing about what we put in our bodies. So much information is available to us via multiple Medias that sometimes it is difficult to decipher the facts. Have you also noticed that health food stores are everywhere – from the small local stores to the large food chain? So wondering about the benefits of being a vegetarian is a natural progression for most people.
Becoming a Vegetarian
Becoming a vegetarian / vegan is a choice. Depending on what you choose to include and exclude from your diet, there are 5 main categories of vegetarianism
1. Ovovegetarian– this includes the consumption of eggs but not dairy products.
2. Lactovegetarian– this includes dairy products but not eggs.
3. Ovo-lactovegetarian(or lacto-ovo vegetarian) – this is a combination and includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
4. Vegan– this excludes all animal flesh and animal products, including milk, honey, and eggs, and may also exclude any products tested on animals, or any clothing from animals.
5. Raw vegan – this includes only eating fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Also, vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.
What are the Vegetarian Heath Benefits?
After you learn about the different types of Vegetarianism, you should consider the health benefits. This diet tends to lead you to consume higher levels of certain types of fiber than traditional diets as well as magnesium, folate, vitamins C and E, carotenoids and phytochemicals. Also studies have shown a positive link between eating a vegetarian diet and a reduced risk for multiple chronic diseases. In fact, the American Dietetic Association (ADA) affirms that, “appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.”
If you decide on becoming a vegetarian, now what do you do about the food? You might feel the preparation of food for vegetarianism daunting, especially when you begin. There are great online companies that have delicious high quality prepared vegetarian meals which can be delivered right to your door! You can actually order all your meals this way from breakfast to dinner.
If you feel the benefits of being a vegetarian is the right choice for you, consider purchasing from an online vegetarian meal company to learn what you like and don’t like. Then you can start using different ingredients and making your own vegan food at home. Its time to get healthier today!